How to request a rent increase

To request an increase, landlords must meet certain requirements from the City of Seattle and from Seattle Housing Authority. These requirements are explained here: Housing Choice Voucher Rent Increase.

To request a rent increase and/or change in utilities you must provide written notice to your tenant and to SHA. You can use the "Notice of Increase to Housing Costs" template OR send your tenant and SHA a notice including the tenant's name, address and unit number, proposed effective date, and proposed rent amount. Be sure your contact information is also on the notice.

Please note that the City of Seattle requires landlords to provide tenants with 180 days advance written notice of a housing cost increase. (see for details). A copy of this notice must be submitted to Seattle Housing Authority, and must arrive at least 60 days before the proposed effective date of the increase. It is your responsibility, not the tenant’s, to notify SHA of the proposed rent increase.

Submit a copy of your rent increase request by email to, by fax to 206-239-1770, or by mail to:

Attn: Contract Rent Desk
Seattle Housing Authority
101 Elliott Ave W, Suite 100
P.O. Box 79015,
Seattle, Washington, 98119.