You are here

Adding or removing Dependents

Adding or removing Dependents

  • You must notifiy the Human Resources department if you have a new dependent child, new spouse or domestic partner in order for that dependent to receive benefits.
  • If your dependent child no longer meets the requirements for receiving benefits (turns 26 years old), you must notify the Human Resources to remove them from coverage. 
Adding a dependent

Step 1 - Enroll in medical/dental/vision coverage

You have 60 days after a child is acquired through birth or adoption to enroll the child in City sponsored medical/dental/vision coverage.  Coverage is effective on date of birth. 

You have 30 days after you acquire a child through marriage, formation of a domestic partnership, adoption, or legal guardianship to add the child to the City sponsored health plans.  Coverage is effective the 1st month after Human Resources received the enrollment form.

You have 30 days after the marriage date or the date you formed your domestic partnership to enroll your new spouse or domestic partner in City-sponsored medical, dental and vision coverage.  Coverage begins the month following receipt of your Benefits Enrollment Form and Affidavit of Marriage/Domestic Partnership Form.   

If you miss the deadline, you can enroll your new dependent(s) at the next open enrollment period (usually held in the fall). To enroll your new dependent(s), you must complete SHA Benefits Change Form and submit it to the Human Resources Department. 

Step 2 - Review your other insurance needs

Think about updating your coverage in the following benefits: 

  • Add supplemental life insurance coverage for the child if you are currently enrolled in supplemental life insurance
  • Add family AD&D coverage if you currently have individual coverage.

At the next open enrollment, you can:

  • Purchase Basic Group Term Life insurance.
  • Purchase Supplemental Group Term Life insurance.
  • Purchase Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance.
  • Enroll in Supplemental Long Term Disability (LTD) coverage. If you enroll after you first become eligible, any LTD benefits will be subject to a 24- month pre-existing condition limitation.

Step 3 - Enroll in Flexible Spending Account Programs

Within 30 days of the acquisition of the new dependent, you can:

  • Sign up for a Health Care and/or Day Care flexible spending accounts.
  • Increase the amount of your current Health Care and/or Dependent Care FSA account (maximum $2,750 for Health Care and maximum $5,000 for Day Care). 

Step 4 - Consider taking time off

You may want to take advantage of one or more of SHA sponsored leave programs to help you when you add a dependent. Contact Human Resources to find out your options.

Step 5 - Update your beneficiary information

This may include: life insurance, AD&D insurance, HAIG life insurance, SHA beneficiary, Retirement, and the Deferred Compensation Plan. Remember to consider the beneficiary elections for any other personal life insurance plans you may have. Send updated personal information to the Human Resources Department.

Step 6 - Change personal and tax withholding information

You may need to change the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck by submitting a new W-4 form to Human Resources Department.

Your dependent child becomes ineligible

If your son or daughter no longer meets the age requirements for medical/dental/vision coverage (by turning 26 years old) notify the Human Resources Department as soon as possible. Coverage may continue for a handicapped/incapacitated child if the child becomes disabled prior to the limiting age, provided that proof of fully handicapped/incapacitated status has been documented by a physician.

Step 1 - Change medical/dental/vision coverage

Dependents who lose coverage may elect to continue health care coverage through COBRA. A COBRA packet will be sent prior to coverage ending.  To elect COBRA, you must notify the Human Resources Department and your son or daughter must submit the COBRA enrollment form within 60 days of receiving the packet.  You must complete a SHA Remove Dependents Form to drop a dependent. Coverage will cease at the end of the month in which the dependent reaches the age limit.

Step 2 - Make other changes to your benefits coverage

You may also cancel any optional coverage such as life insurance, supplemental life insurance, AD&D or Supplemental Long-Term Disability. Dependents are eligible for supplemental GTL up to age 25 (through age 24) for Accidental Death and Dismemberment.

Step 3 - Change personal and tax withholding information

You may need to change the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck by submitting a new W-4 statement to the Human Resources Department.