You are here

Death in the Family

Death in the Family

Step 1 - Contact the Human Resources Department

The Human Resources Department will help determine benefits available to you. Depending on your elections and the circumstance of the death, benefits may be payable to you or your beneficiaries under Basic and/or Supplemental Group Term Life insurance, AD&D insurance, HAIG insurance, or through the Washington State Deferred Compensation Plan or Washington State Retirement Plan.

SHA provides a number of leave options for employees. You may be eligible to use one or more of these programs if there is a death in your family. Leave options include:

  • Bereavement Leave
  • Sick Leave
  • Personal Leave
  • Vacation

Step 2 - Consider contacting the EAP

Employee Assistance Program (EAP) can provide you with confidential, professional help during this difficult time. You can reach Wellspring Family Services at 800.553.7798 or TTY 866.704.6355.

Step 3 - Complete the SHA Benefits Election form

If there is a death in your immediate family, you may need to complete the SHA Benefits Election form to reflect the change to your medical, dental, and vision dependents.

Step 4 - Change personal and tax withholding information

You may need to update your personal information with the Human Resources Department (for example: beneficiary designation, who is covered under the medical plan, emergency contact, etc.).

Additionally, you may need to change the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck by submitting a new W-4 statement to the Human Resources Department.