Seattle Housing Authority offices will be closed on Monday, May 28, to observe Memorial Day.
Public Employees Retirement System
Most Seattle Housing Authority (SHA) employees are eligible to be a member of the Washington Department of Retirement Systems (DRS), Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). Membership is defined by Washington State statutes, and is mandatory if you are hired into an "eligible" position. If you are retired from or have been a member of the Seattle, Spokane or Tacoma Employee's Retirement System, your PERS enrollment must be verified and approved by DRS. It is the employee's responsibility to indicate previous PERS membership on their Retirement Status form.
Both SHA and the employee contribute to the retirement system. PERS contribution rates are base on the plan enrollment and current legislation. Detailed information about the retirement plan and option choices can be found by visiting the Department of Retirement website at www.drs.wa.gov. You can also contact DRS at 800.547.6657.
As a new member of the Washington State you have 90 days to make a decision to sign up for PERS 2 or PERS 3 by submitting Member Information Form. Once you make a choice, you cannot change plans. If you don't make a plan choice within 90 days of becoming a public employee, you will automatically default to Plan 3 with 5% contribution. Please be sure to check the WA State website to find out the different resources available to you in helping you make your decision.
Contact PERS Retirement Phone Support Center at 888.711.8773 if you have any questions.
Beneficiary: you can change your beneficiary designation at anytime. Return your completed beneficiary form directly to DRS. Please be sure to keep a copy for your records. Seattle Housing Authority does not keep a copy in your beneficiary records.
- PERS 1: Membership established before October 1, 1977
- PERS 2: Membership established on or after October 1, 1977
- PERS 3: Membership established on or after October 1, 1977
To find out more details regarding each plan, please click here.
- Member Information Form [PDF]- Enrollment form for new member of PERS; for Plan 2 members who choose to transfer to Plan 3; or for Plan 3 members returning to eligible employment.
- Beneficiary Form [PDF]- Use this form to designate or change the person, estate, trust or organization to receive any money due from your retirement account at the time of your death. Mail completed form to DRS.